Friday, November 19, 2010

As I'm On the Way Back

The Hunan restaurant marked the end of my trip as I prepared myself for the trip back home the night before. Just getting back is an adventure all by itself. First, since Huizhou is fairly deep in Guangdong Province, we had to ride for about 2 hours just to get to Shenzheng. From there, cross the border through "buses." The buses are essentially small vans for about 4-6 people and you sit in the van while you get checked by customs, both Chinese and HK. It's pretty convenient since by foot it'll probably take forever. Not exactly cheap though at 300rmb. After you cross, the van takes you directly to HK Airport so it's a convenient way of traveling in and out of mainland through HK. It took about 4-5 hours after lunch for the whole process.

Of course, from HK, had to fly to Taipei, and then back to LAX. Never really have much time to really sit and eat since you're always on the move, but luckily I was able to join others in the VIP lounge (they flew business while I flew economy back :P).


KFC in China
Before I found out I got food poisoning from the night before, decided to go to KFC for breakfast. KFC is everywhere in China, and most are open 24/7!

breakfast chicken sandwich
No breakfast burrito or sausage & biscuit here. Instead you can get, breakfast chicken sandwich!

chicken patty
So what makes it a breakfast chicken patty? I guess they add veggies to it haha.

chinese donut
You can even get 油條 Chinese donut at KFC!


hk airport
In HK Airport they got this cool model of an old school plane.

fried rice
Was lucky enough to be able to go into the 1st VIP lounge for China Airline so took advantage of it. I actually still had food posioning... but once in a lifetime chance to eat in the 1st class lounge! Ordered me some fried rice! It's made fresh for you in the back.

tea egg
茶葉蛋 Tea eggs! I heart tea eggs.

peeled
Good dark colors on the egg.

yolk
Even dark colors on the yolk means that the flavors have been fully absorbed :]

sticky rice chicken
糯米雞 Sticky rice chicken. It's actually really really legit and delicious here!

dessert plate
Wanted something sweet so got an almond croissant, jelly donut, and oranges.

jelly
It's actually pear preserves inside the donut!

food provided from HK-TPE
In-flight meal provided from HK to Taipei. I didn't eat much... since my stomach was starting to hurt again. Boo.

hallway
Taiwan's Taoyuan International Airport has come a loooong way compared to a few years ago.

1st class VIP lounge
1st Class VIP lounge in Taiwan. HK's had the exact same decor.

beef noodle soup
Of course had to get more beef noodle soup. My stomach was hurting for the whole flight after I ate this but it was worth it.


Unfortunately, I didn't get to take a picture of what China Airline served on the flight back to LAX. It's actually really good too since now China Airline works with 鬍鬚張 Beard Chang to incorporate 魯肉飯 minced pork rice into their menu now.

In the end, this trip to the Far East, I definitely got to try a lot more newer things. Just sucks that I had food poisoning towards the end. Hopefully more trips to come in the future that I can take advantage of. There's more to be eaten out there!

0 comments: