Sunday, December 30, 2012

Saint Louis: Salt & Ted Drewes Frozen Custard

Happy New Year!

One of my favorite things to do when visiting a new city is to find a brunch spot that showcases what that city is all about.  For this visit to Saint Louis, decided on Salt, which is a popular restaurant in Saint Louis and a James Beard Award semifinalist in the Best New Restaurant category for the Midwest!  Pretty good representative?


Salt 
4356 Lindell Blvd 
Central West End
St Louis, MO 63108

salt
Salt!  We actually missed it a few times because it looks like a really fancy house and it's in a residential neighborhood.

s&p
S&P.  I like it when restaurants serves it like this haha.

grapefruit juice
Fresh grapefruit juice.  Citrus fruits are in season!

French Onion
Started with the French Onion Soup.

cheese & bread
Love the super thick layer of Swiss Cheese!

thick
The crouton.  Soup was served warm.  I think that's a way of serving it in many places?  I like it piping hot though :P

hash & eggs
I went for the Hash & Eggs since I was craving something hearty. It was totally not what I expected though. I did expect a large plate of hash and potatoes with fried eggs, but what you get is a small portion of their corned beef with potato hash, served with two poached eggs. 

corned beef,potato hash,spicy mustard
Not gonna lie, I was disappointed with the portion, but the corned beef hash was very tasty! The corned beef is definitely the star since it is made in-house.

poached eggs
I asked for my eggs to be runny, and it came in the form of poached eggs came with it!  Comes in little cups so I can just pop it and go all crazy with the yolk and pour it over the hash!

crispy thin fries
Duck Fat Frites!  Super crispy fries.

homemade ketchup & mayo
Comes with mayo and homemade ketchup.  The ketchup is terrific.  It's not as sweet and vinegary as traditional ketchup, more like a seasoned tomato puree, but it's very refreshing.  I used it with the corned beef hash too!

red velvet chocolate chunk pancakes with roasted banana whipped cream
Diana's Red Velvet Chocolate Chunk Pancakes with Roasted Banana Whipped Cream.

red velvet pancakes
Very odd to see pancake this color but very delicious!

roasted banana whipped cream
Roasted Banana Whipped Cream was definitely the best part.  Can really taste the banana flavor!


---


Before I was dropped off at the airport, Diana and I had to stop by the popular Ted Drewes for their frozen custard, aka "concrete!"  I saw it a few times on Food Network and they always show it by flipping the cup upside down to show how thick it is haha.


Ted Drewes Frozen Custard
6726 Chippewa St 
Saint Louis Hills
Saint Louis, MO 63109 

sign
The neon sign!

ted drewes
Ted Drewes.  You can tell that it is a old school spot haha.  Love the "icicle" :P

menu
Menu on the windows and wall and damn it's a lot.  All they have here is vanilla frozen custard with different mix ins, sorta like McDonald's McFlurry!

some of the combos
Guess which one I ordered?

mint oreo & marshmallow oreo
Mint Oreo and Marshmallow Oreo!  It wasn't until we got our order that we realized that we ordered very similar things :P  Granted, I did rush her haha.

mint oreo
Mint Oreo.  Vanilla custard mixed with Oreo and mint flavoring.  Like mint chip?  Then this is definitely for you.

concrete
Man that's some thick vanilla custard haha.

marshmallow oreo
Marshmallow Oreo.  Can't really taste the marshmallow.  It's more about the texture.  You can tell you got a bite of the marshmallow because it's smoother and lighter than the other spoonfuls.

cup
St. Louis' finest indeed!


With Ted Drewes, that ended my first visit to Saint Louis.  I knew I was gonna be back in a few weeks for Diana's birthday and even though I wanted to go to Pappy's again before I left, I told my stomach to be patient and that I would have delicious BBQ soon enough.  Good things come to those who wait!

0 comments: