Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Saint Louis: Pappy's Smokehouse for the Best Ribs I've Had

First of all, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

This Christmas, I really just want another bite of Pappy's awesome ribs, cause it is legitimately the best ribs I've had anywhere.  So good that I am still dreaming about it today!  When I first got to Saint Louis, I knew the barbecue was gonna be good but never imagined mind-blown status.  

The funny thing is, Pappy's style of barbecue is not even Saint Louis.  The barbecue is actually Memphis-style, and for the ribs, it's not the Saint Louis ribs cut, which Saint Louis made famous, but the baby back loin ribs cut.  Even though it's not "true" Saint Louis barbecue, the city has definitely embraced Pappy's as its own, evident by the line that forms daily.

Story: we were actually in line, and I was deciding between the full slab or half.  While pondering, the guy in front of us helped open the door when the staff was bringing in newly smoked ribs.  One of the staff was so grateful that she cut off two pieces of the rib for the guy to try, and the guy was nice enough to share one with Diana and me!  First bite of the rib, I just stood there in amazement, mouth in a flavor heaven, and I make sounds that I did not think was possible.  Just that one bite was enough to convince me to get the full slab :P


Pappy's Smokehouse
3106 Olive St 
Midtown 
St Louis, MO 63103

pappy's smokehouse
Pappy's!

smoker
One of the smokers that they have.

wood
Wood for smoking!

waiting line 
Waiting in line outside and the line inside.

all the sauces and some famous peeps zagat rated
Some shots of Pappy's.  Very highly rated by Zagat.

menu
Menu.

piggie
Hi piggie.

drinks fridge
Diana looking at the soda fridge.

fitz's
Had to try a Fitz's Root Beer.

sauces
The three sauces: Sweet Baby Jane, Holly's Hot Sauce, and Pappy's.  I liked the Sweet Baby Jane the most since I like sweeter BBQ sauces.  Holly's got a good bit of kick and Pappy's is more of a vinegar-based sauce.

full slab ribs
The ribs, a full slab of the house specialty, dry-rubbed and slow smoked over apple & cherry wood.


smoke ring
Since it is the baby back loin cut, it is much meatier and look at the smoke ring

crust
The dry rub here is amazing, and so flavorful that you don't really need any sauce!

with sauce
But I'm a sauce guy so I alternated between adding all the different sauce or just eating as it is.  Here it is with my favorite, Sweet Baby Jane.

baked beans
Baked beans, and of course, baked with BBQ sauce.  Sweet.

fried corn on the cob
This is also something unique: fried corn on the cob.  They take a whole ear of corn and just fry it!  Thought it was gonna be greasy but it's actually the opposite.  Pretty tasty.

combo
Diana got a two-meat combo so we could try more.

brisket & pork
Beef brisket and pulled pork!

brisket
Never seen beef brisket like this.  You can see a bit of the smoke ring.  Super tender.  Definitely not in the same class as the ribs.

pulled pork
Pulled pork!  Out of the two, I definitely liked the pulled pork more, especially with the Sweet Baby Jane and Pappy's sauce.

sweet potato fries
Sweet potato fries.  

potato salad
Potato salad.


To be honest, I didn't care too much for the pulled pork, the brisket, or the sides cause I could not stop thinking about how good the ribs were!  It really is the best I've had and it sucks that I can't have in here in LA :[  GAH!  Pappy's = hog heaven.

0 comments: