Tuesday, December 4, 2012

New York: Pure Thai Cookhouse for the Best Dry Noodles

No joke, I had one of the best dry noodles in NYC this time around, and it is from Pure Thai Cookhouse!

Hungover once again, we woke up late and got ready for a late lunch.  From Jimmy's place to here is actually not that far, but that trek was hard, especially when you have nothing in your stomach after a night in Ktown.  Took about 15 minutes to get there, and found out we had to wait for another 40 minutes.  Edwin and I weren't too happy about it, but damn, it was worth it.


Pure Thai Cookhouse
766 9th Ave
Between 51st St & 52nd St
Hell's Kitchen
New York, NY 10019
purethaicookhouse.com

front
Pure Thai Cookhouse.  With a name like that, I expected really authentic Thai food, and it really is legit.

to-go menu
To-go menu and their lunch menu in the back.  Menu's available on their website.

inside
Small restaurant.  The kitchen up front is just for noodles only.

open noodle kitchen
Definitely reminiscence of food vendors in Asia with the way it is set up.

transparent
I like the transparency here hahah.

shirmp calamari herb salad (kaffir lime, lemongrass, mint, shallot, peanut, ginger, chili lime juice)
Jimmy & Janice ordered the Shrimp Calamari Herb Salad to share.  Kaffir lime, lemongrass, mint, shallot, peanut, ginger, and chili lime juice.  Intense flavors.  The ginger was a little too much for some, but I liked the spiciness from it.

shrimp
Grilled shrimp and calamari.  Beautiful.

chicken satay on skewers, coconut milk-turmeric, peanut sauce
Edwin ordered the Chicken Satay to share.  Rubbed with coconut milk and tumeric.  Served with a side of pickled veggies and peanut sauce.

chicken satay
Tumeric gives the chicken that orange-ish color.

pickled veggies
Pickled veggies.  Very vinegar-y.

peanut sauce
Peanut sauce.  Generally not a huge fan of peanut sauce since I was mildly allergic to peanuts just a few years ago, but it's light and whatever they add to it makes it really good.

chicken with sauce
Chicken with the peanut sauce.

steamed fresh roll (crab meat, pork sausage, cucumber,  smoked tofu, tamarind reduction)
We also got the Steamed Fresh Roll.  Definitely favorite out of the three we got to share.

deliciousness
Crab meat, pork sausage, cucumber, smoked tofu, and tamarind reduction.  I think the fresh crab meat and that tamarind reduction set it all apart from the others.

fried rice with lump crab meat (egg, chinese broccoli, tomato,  scallion, onion, light soy sauce)
Link's Fried Rice with Lump Crab Meat.  Egg, Chinese broccoli, tomato, scallion, onion, light soy sauce, and lime.  Solid fried rice.  Again, the crab meat was bomb.

fried rice
Good fried rice means it should look fluffly and light!  Also, if I ordered this, I would've requested 10 limes and go crazy with it haha.

ratchaburi crab & pork dry noodle (handmade egg noodles, roasted pork,  lump crab meat, yu choy, scallion)
The noodle dish I'm still obsessing over a month later, the Ratchaburi Crab & Pork Dry Noodle.  That handmade egg noodle is a MUST here.

pork
Handmade egg noodles, roasted pork, lump crab meat, yu choy, and scallion.  I love everything about this dish.  The colors, the seasonings, the toppings, the noodles.. The dish is seasoned lightly and you can just taste it without the toppings overpowering it.

pork & crab
The roasted pork is very tasty, and again, delicious crab meat.  The pork is flavorful and not too fatty, with a good bite to it too.  I can't express enough just how much I like this noodle dish.  It really is one of the best dry noodle I've had anywhere, and that includes Asia too.  Pretty much, I inhaled it, and even thought about ordering another one, but I was stupid.  Should've done it.

side broth
You can get it with soup or soup on the side, and I went for the latter.  Soup is a very simple broth, sorta reminds me of the soup they give you in Taiwan night markets to go with your porkchop rice.

krabi seafood noodle soup (flat rice noodles, shrimp, calamari, water  spinach, bean curd, fermented tofu, fish ball,  tomato pork broth)
Janice's Krabi Seafood Noodle Soup.  It had chili peppers next to it on the menu haha.  Looks like such a busy bowl!

toppings for krabi
Flat rice noodle, shrimp, calamari, water spinach, bean curd, fermented tofu, fish ball, and tomato pork broth.  There really is a lot going on haha.  The heat slowly creeps up on you.

thai iced tea (top)
I was craving milk tea of some sort and I wanted a drink for the walk back, so Jimmy and I got a Thai Iced Tea there.  Doesn't taste artificial, which is a good thing!

$1 pizza store
On our way back, I was already getting hungry so I made the gang go to a dollar pizza store with me to get a whole pie.  Went to Roll And Go, which is Jimmy's favorite in his area.

cheese pizza
Whole cheese pizza for $8?  Yes.  

seasonings on pizza
Edwin and I went crazy with the garlic seasoning, chili flakes, and oregano haha.


I really am still thinking about those noodles even today.  The firm handmade egg noodle, the flavorful pork and crab, and all the other toppings & seasonings make it so good.  There is Thai Town in LA, but I don't think any of them can be comparable.  Sad.



0 comments: