Monday, October 25, 2010

New York: Nan Shian Dumpling House / Katz Delicatessen

Since I got some downtime on this work trip, I'll post about my 2-day trip to New York back in August of 2010. I went for work and so I used the opportunity to convince a few of my colleagues and co-workers to try these two spots I've had my eyes on!

First was Nan Shian Dumpling House. I've been craving good xiao long bao for some reason and I figured Flushing in NY gotta have something good, so I yelped and Nan Shian was what popped up!


Nan Shian Dumpling House
38-12 Prince St.
Flushing, NY 11354

store front
Nan Shian. They actually used the name of a really popular Northern Chinese restaurant in Shanghai so I figured it can't be that bad or else they wouldn't be able to live up to the Nan Shian name.

xiao long bao
Xiao Long Bao!! I seriously love xiao long bao. I love how the juices from the pork gets released during the steaming process and it gets trapped so when you take a bite into the bao, all the juices can be slurped up. It's pretty good here but the skin is a little bit thicker than what I considered the best, Ding Tai Fung.

beef wrap
This was intense: beef wrapped green onion cake. Typically it is just normal beef wraps but they use green onion cakes here to wrap their beef. Nice braised slices of beef and the fried green onion cake makes a nice crunch when you bite into it.

pig ear
Pig ear in red oil. Good stuff.

thinly sliced beef, beef lung/stomach/tongue
Fu Qi Fei Pian. Honestly I don't know what theirs is but it is usually thin slices of beef, beef lung, beef intestine, and beef tongue... marinated, so take your guess at what it is hahaha.

cucumber
After all that spicy stuff, need something refreshing. Sliced marinated cucumber!

seaweed
Of course, there's some sort of cold seaweed dish. May look spicy with all that chili peppers but it's more for colors really.


A good spot to grab lunch or dinner but is it comparable to Ding Tai Fung? Well I have strong attachment to Ding Tai Fung so no... but it's good!

-

On day 2, after visiting a few places, we wanted to grab lunch before our flight so I convinced everybody to go to Katz Delicatessen.

If you don't know what Katz is, well it is pretty much famous for its hot dogs, corned beef, and of course, pastrami. It's been opened since 1888 so it's got a bit of history as well. It is also one of the location in Where Harry Met Sally and several other movies.


Katz Delicatessen
205 E Houston St (between Avenue A & Essex St)
Lower East Side, New York, NY 10002

katz
Katz!

pastrami sandwich
The GLORIOUS pastrami sandwich. It's so simple: pastrami on rye bread with a bit of mustard. It is the best pastrami I've had. Anywhere. Period. The pastrami melts right in your mouth and it's incredibly juicy from all the fat. It doesn't feel greasy at all however. I love how it is handcarved in front of you and the carver present you with a sample from the piece they are cutting it from to see if it is to your liking. You can request it fattier or leaner, depending on your taste. These guys are good, carving each piece at the right thickness. OMG I can keep talking about it forever but just know that it is amazing.

It is sorta expensive though... I remember it being around $15 for that sandwich, but who the hell cares! Too. Damn. Good.

harry sally
They have a sign where Meg Ryan sat in the movie hahaha.


There are way too many spots in NY that I want to check out. Sometimes I really hate myself that I don't live in NY but maybe it's a good thing since I'll be poor and fat as hell if I really do live in NY haha.

0 comments: