Thursday, December 16, 2010

Little Tokyo: Honda-Ya Izakaya

One of my favorite izakaya in Little Tokyo is Honda-Ya, located in the shopping mall where the market resides on Alameda. Now that I think back on it, there's nothing really unique about Honda-Ya. It's just your typical izakaya with the usual offerings, and the prices are average too. I think it's the fact that everytime I've been here, I've always had good company, whether it's ordering a bottle of sake and drink my life away or catching up with a good friend.

I haven't gone to Honda-Ya in over a year but earlier this month a friend and I decided to meet up before a Yelp event. Their menu is huge, being an izakaya, so this is just a small sampling of what they offer!


Honda-Ya Izakaya
33 S Alameda Ste 314
Los Angeles, CA 90013

hot sake
Hot house sake of course! (sorry for the blurry pic! I forgot to set up the settings haha).

grilled shrimp
Ordered a few yakitori and skewer items. First to arrive, grilled shrimp skewer! That sauce is too good.

grilled chicken meatball
Ever since I had chicken meatball in Taiwan as a yakitori, it's a must now. Kinda small though :P

fried chicken cartilage
One of my favorite parts of the chicken fried, cartilage :] Love the crunch.

soy marinated yellowtail
Soy marinated yellowtail. More of this please!

cheese mochi with spicy cod roe
Spicy cod roe mochi with cheese. Yea we totally experimented with this one. Didn't really know what to expect. Spicy roe was hidden inside the mochi. Very cheesy.

fried soft shell crab
Fried soft shell crab. Can never go wrong.

kimchi pork
Another must have for izakaya, stir fry kimchi pork!!

salmon kama
Salmon fish collar. Favorite part of the fish for sure!


Honda-Ya, always a solid choice!

1 comments:

S.O.F.A.T. (Stories of Food and Travel) Blog said...

Agree. Always a solid choice! We had some good times there.. should head back again soon!