Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Seattle: Beecher's Handmade Cheese

Right after having chowder and gyros from Pike Place Chowder and Falafel King, we decided to walk Pike Place a bit more and decided to stop by Beecher's Handmade Cheese. They make their own cheese in house, which is pretty cool since there's a small production room for you to see the cheese-making process. Definitely a good way to grab people's attention!


Beecher's Handmade Cheese
1600 Pike Pl (between Pine St & Post Aly)
Seattle, WA 98101

beecher's handmade cheese
Store front right on Pike Place.

beecher's handmade cheese
Cheesemakers (is that the right term? haha) cutting curds into long blocks.

beecher's handmade cheese
Pieces of curds cut up, and in the back is a machine working on curdling the milk mixture to separate the whey and the curd.

beecher's handmade cheese
Beecher's also has a menu with their in house cheese as the star: the Flagship and the Just Jack. The Flagship is aged one year and has a mellow cheddar taste to it while the Just Jack is similar to Monterey Jack cheese.

beecher's handmade cheese
Food arrives!

beecher's handmade cheese
"World's Best Mac & Cheese" made with Flagship & Just Jack (both cheeses made in house). It's good but I don't think it is the best haha. Good blends of cheeses and the spices they add really carries the mac & cheese.

beecher's handmade cheese
Grilled cheese with Flagship & Just Jack. This was my favorite. Perfect grilled cheese. It's salty, cheesy, and buttery haha. Totally wished we order a tomato soup to go along with it :P


It's pretty cool to see cheesemakers make cheese right in front of you, which is something I didn't expect to see in Seattle. I ended up buying a small block of their Flagship. I haven't touched it since I got back but hopefully I'll find a use for it, or maybe I'll just eat it with some crackers and a glass of wine haha.

**Sorry for the lack of update! I'm limited to what I can upload to Flickr each month and since I don't want to use Facebook photos, I had to wait!

0 comments: