Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Philadelphia: Philly Cheesesteak from Philly!

Ahhh Philadelphia = Philly cheesesteak. Seriously, that's all I could think about when I found out that I was gonna be there for work for about 4 days. When the time finally came last week, I was determined to at least try 3-4 spots.

However, things never work out as well as you'd hoped. I found out that Pat's, Geno's, and Tony Luke's were all really far away from me, and since I had to attend all the company dinners that we were planning for guests and customers, I didn't have as much freedom as usual to explore on my own.

On the first night though, there was nothing planned and coworkers suggested we go out to grab some food and I immediately went on Yelp to search for the closest cheesesteak spot to us and found Jim's Steaks.


Jim's Steaks
400 South St
Philadelphia, PA 19147

jim's steaks
Jim's Steaks, opened since 1939, another Philly landmark for cheesesteak! How awesome.

menu
Menu!

flat top
The flattop where the magic happens.

whiz with peppers & onions
My whiz with sweet peppers & onions. Whiz is a cheese sauce and every cheesesteak spot has a secret recipe in the cheese and spices used.

IMG_0616.JPG
Chopped up steaks, topped with sweet peppers, then stuffed into a soft Italian roll.

delicious whiz
Cheese whiz sauce is at the bottom. Cheesesteak with whiz is definitely my favorite way of eating a cheesesteak now!

IMG_0614.JPG
Coworker's cheesesteak with provolone & onions.

history
Notes from celebrities cover the wall!

history
More messages to Jim's from famous patrons, as well as newspaper clippings.


Keating's River Grill
201 S Columbus Blvd
Philadelphia, PA 19106

keating's
Since we stayed at a Hyatt Regency this time, few coworkers and I decided to grab a beer at Keating's downstairs after we walked back from Jim's.

IMG_0670.JPG
Ordered sliders to nibble on: turkey slider with Asian slaw. Mild wasabi flavor in the slaw, but the turkey patty was a little dry. Nothing too special.

IMG_0673.JPG
Flying Fish Belgian Abbey Dubbel. Long name for a beer, but I like it! I love trying out local brews when I travel. Flying Fish is actually brewed in Cherry Hill, NJ, which is only a short car ride away. Fruity, mildly sweet beer. Not a bad beer to wind down the day with.


Not bad for first day since I did get to sample a cheesesteak from a famous spot. Even though it may not be as well known as the other's (Pat's, Geno's, and Tony Luke's are on TV all the time), Jim's Steaks did make one of the best cheesesteak I ever had and I want all my cheesesteak with whiz now :P

0 comments: