Monday, January 10, 2011

Los Angeles: Umami Burger

So finally got a chance to check out the famous Umami Burger in LA. I've tried to avoid this place for the longest time because it just seemed like such a hipster spot but so many articles are naming them the best burgers so finally gave in and tried it.


Umami Burger
850 S La Brea Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90036

IMG_0394
The burger options. (click to enlarge)

manly burger
So for my first Umami burger, decided to try the Manly Burger, which comes with beer-cheddar cheese, smoked-salt onion strings, and bacon lardon. The onion string is a great topping. They do need to add more bacon though :P The pieces of bacon was quite small.

umami burger
Also tried the Umami Burger which came with mushrooms and parmesean crisp. Leonard raved about the flavor of the patty itself but I couldn't tell exactly what was so special about it. Maybe my burger had too much going on for me to taste the patty.

tempura onion rings
My favorite thing on the menu: tempura onion rings. Add some ketchup and it's boss. The rings are not heavy at all, mostly due to the tempura batter.

sweet potato fries
Sweet potato fries. Good but nothing too crazy about it.

house special sauce
However, when you eat the sweet potato fries with their house special sauce, instantaneously better! It's like a thousand island dressing but much lighter.

mexican coke
Of course, a Mexican Coke to wash it all down :]


There's a few other burgers on the list that I really want to try like the truffle ones. At $8-10 per burger, wished there was more food since burgers aren't that big but nevertheless, Umami is a solid burger spot but not a must for me. Maybe I just don't get the whole Umami thing :P


1 comments:

S.O.F.A.T. (Stories of Food and Travel) Blog said...

I don't quite get it either... but onion rings were bomb!