Friday, March 30, 2012

New York: Doughnuts for Breakfast is a Must - Day 1

As soon as I got back from Taipei, I unpacked and packed right away since I was heading to New York the next night with Ben, Audrey, Ahrhan, and Diana. It's definitely the most flying I've ever done over a 2 day span, a 10-hour flight from TPE-LAX then 6-hour flight from LAX-JFK.

I gotta admit, I was a little scared how my body and internal clock would react, and even though I only got 3 hours of sleep on the flight to NYC, I felt okay once I got on the subway and hit the streets of NY. Why? Because I was about to have the famous Doughnut Plant for breakfast :]


Doughnut Plant
379 Grand St
Between Suffolk St & Norfolk St
Lower East Side
New York, NY 10002

doughnut plant
We decided to go to the Lower East Side location since that was the original and we planned to head towards Chinatown afterwards. Rainy weather the whole day.

menu
Menu.

crowd
We had to wait in line for about 10 minutes... much better than the 1-hr wait at the Doughnut Vault in Chicago :P Damn those kids eating their donuts already.

churros
They also have churros!

cake
Yum cake donuts all nicely presented in a case.

yeast on racks
Yeast donuts on the rack.

bag
Our donuts! :]

doughnuts
We decided to get 4 things to share.

churros
Mexican Churros. They say it is authentic churros and I gotta say, it's pretty close to the ones I've had on the streets in Mexico. Would've been better if it was hot or warm

chocolate yeast
Valrhona Chocolate Yeast Donut. Yeast donut that's completly coated with chocolate!

chocolate
Awesome donut the size of my hand!

holey
First bite? Gloriously chocolatey. All the holes in the donut tells me that it is a yeast donut made right!

hazelnut
Hazelnut Yeast Donut. Ben was adamant about getting this one haha.

hazelnut
Nice coarse chopped hazelnut sprinkled on top of a sugar-glazed donut.

pineapple cake
I wanted to try a cake donut as well so went with the Pineapple Cake Donut.

pineapple cake
Actual pineapple chunks!

bite of cake
Very dense, very good. The pineapple-sugar glaze was really good since it was a little bit of tart and sweet at the same time.

---

Afterwards, we head towards Chinatown but right across from Doughnut Plant is The Pickle Guys! I've actually seen them on TV and Ahrhan marked it down as one of the places she wanted to check out.


The Pickle Guys
49 Essex St
Between Grand St & Hester St
Lower East Side
New York, NY 10002

store
They were bringing shipments in and storing underground early in the morning haha.

pickle guys
The Pickle Guys!

pickled items
All sorts of items being pickled from cucumbers, peppers, and olives to even fruits! We tried a bit of the spicy pickled pineapple. Daaaamn it was sour and spicy.

logo
Decided to get 3 full sour pickles for $2.

full sour
Full sour pickles.

sour
Definitely looked pickled as the cucumber has lost its bright green color.

super sour
First bite? Holy crap it was sour. We all had that scrunched up look on our face. We later let a few others friends living in NY try it and they all thought it was perfect. I guess West Coast peeps are just too weak sauce for full sour hahah.

Afterwards, we headed towards Chinatown as we searched for some cheap potstickers for breakfast!

0 comments: